Monday 19 July 2010

NZ International Film Festival 2010



To put it nicely I am what you would call a little obsessed with the big screen and movies, have been for years only difference over the years is what I watch and the amount as now thanks to being employed for more than pocket money (thanks mum & dad for all the paid car washing that funded me as a kid) I can go to alot more and Care bears and Disneys Snow white are now docos and fest films. As always when July comes around I get super excited as it brings with it the biggest film fest of the year and I get to spend a weekend watching heaps of trailers and trying desperately to narrow down 100+ films to the small 5-10 I will be seeing.

As a note the design of the logo and accompanying marketing this year is amazing it captures the magic and allure as well as being the most finished, perfected piece of print design I have come across in years. I will be keeping an eye on this design firm and the designer and illustrator for sure.


Illustration: Thomas Simpson
Design: Matt Bluett, Ocean Design

This year due to a rather exciting OE coming up in September I limited myself to five so below are the films I saw and my thoughts/ramblings.

I enjoyed this film as the illustrations were lovely and the fact it had no dialogue was nice for a change but I would not say it wowed me and the unusual narrative of the Lolita/Goldigger type character didn't really seem quite right with rather a flat ending. Also a very sad story so you will feel blue on exit. I am told though that this was a shadow in comparison to his first feature length film so I will have to make an effort tosee that.

Favourite scene - When the little girl cooks the performers a special stew and you freak out that she has used the illusionists white rabbit for the meat. Luckily this is not the case and the little rascal eventually pops his head up.

Wow this film was captivating, brutal and powerful. It was one of those films where the hopelessness of certain areas in the world is highlighted and makes you super sad. The way the story was woven amongst the characters of this one town and in a format like a play with scenes was really well done along with the amazing ripple effect of one action. Would highly recommend seeing this but be warned it is not a happy film. It will also excite some healthy debate so go along with your favourite antagonist/protagonist friends.

Favourite Scene - The one near the end where the brother instinctually knows the choice his brother is making is wrong and won't leave him - it is also the saddest scene but really captured the theme of the movie.

Two stella performances from the leading ladies Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning and a real gritty pic about the effect of sudden fame and wealth. I thoroughly enjoyed this, good as a chick flick, as a flash back to some old favs in the music department and as a movie in its own right. Plus one can't go past the irony of the life imitating art or vice versa as I am sure the two stars have experienced very similar lives to the ladies they were portraying. Michael Shannon is fantastic as Kim Fowley too.

Favourite Scene - There are many but I do love the scene where Cherie sings Bowie at her high school talent show, her commitment to his look and her attitude of defiance is great.

Melody for a street organ - Kira Muratova
Wow this was a dark film, and if you wanted to produce an anti tourism one this hits the mark as would put me off ever visiting the Ukraine, worth a look though as the way the director spins so many characters into the dialogue is quite cool and it is definitely quirky but have a st johns wort happy tea before hand.

Favourite Scene - right at the beginning when the siblings are sleeping curled into each other and wake up because of the ticket inspector and this is the scene that sets the dynamics of their relationship - plus one of the only happy scenes

American black comedy at its best, a really enjoyable Sunday arvo film with some great performances from some great actors.

Favourite Scene - The conversation at the van as the son moves out when he realises that the new guy is not as dumb as he thought and the true battle for the mums affections begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment