Friday 24 October 2008

Basil Beattie



Today I wagged from work to a slightly extended lunch break to go and see a very established artist Basil talk about his work. As always it is so fascinating to have a peek into the different ways artists come about their final product, in Basils case I liked most the fact that he would tell stories about the paint and canvas itself leaving windows and doors open to one or the other but at the same time putting roadblocks there so you can never quite escape inside.

The works he has on exhibition at two rooms currently I love because they remind me of one of my fav activities which is staring out the car window at the lovely landscapes on my way somewhere different, I have many photos which have the windscreen as a frame. I also liked the way they were simultaneously still enough for the mind to wander but had movement to direct your thoughts. He revealed that one of the things hes see in his works is a reference to Auschwitz and the railway but as this is not something from my memories I see other things - he successfully fits into artists I like as I love any work that tells me a story whether the one intended or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment