Monday 18 October 2010

A weekend of fun

Went out to a new bar in Britomart called 1885 for a few drinks and friends catchup. Was a nice venue with a great cover band.

It's funny though how quickly you forget how easy it is to get a hangover when you have not been drinking for ages and then suddenly start again. I thank Sals greasy pizza for atleast softening the blow.

What better way to burn/sweat off said hangover than with a walk up Rangitoto. I love this walk as it is just far enough to feel like a workout but not so bad you feel like collapsing and the reward of the stunning views is a must.

After the walk we decided it was such a nice day that a cold beer seemed in order so we headed off to Brew on Quay to sample some new ones. My favourite was Eidelweiss snowfresh, I am really enjoying wheat beers and pilsners this year.

Then I headed up to Ponsonby to check out the Art in the Dark installation in Western Park which really made it feel like Christmas for me with all the lights in the trees.

Sunday was a warm but rainy day so we decided to hide out in the cinemas. We started with Exit through the gift shop. This movie really got under my skin as it was such a blatant example of how easily someone can pervert/profit off a subculture and really miss the point of said culture in the first place. I felt really sorry for the guys who had opened their worlds to this guy and been totally used. Definitely worth a look to remind you of the dark side of art capitalism. It also made me respect Banksy even more than I already did.



Then we went to see The last airbender in 3D. I am addicted to 3D but boy do my eyes hurt by the end of the two hours. I have seen this movie twice now (first time on my flight to LA) and I really love it. The choreography is really fluid and beautiful, the music is soul soaring and the visuals are stunning. This all wrapped up in a story with some nice messages about living harmoniously, dealing with your emotions and not giving up makes for a nice feel good movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment