Tuesday 12 October 2010

September Books

All that glitters - Denise L'Estrange Corbet
I loved this book for so many reasons. The first that she is a woman who chanced on something she loved and through hard work and lots of passion succeeded in doing it. Two because she never backed down to a bully. Three because she was so open about talking about the downs just as much as the ups, which was helpful in demystifying depression something so many New Zealander's suffer from.

Dear Fatty - Dawn French
I just wanted to pop round to her house for a cup of tea and cake after reading this book. She writes with so much heart and humour you can't help but love her by the last page (assuming you didn't already). It also gives a glimpse into Jennifer Saunders life another woman to truely admire and I really liked how she is happy with herself warts and all. It made me laugh, cry and feel inspired a great read.







The enemy - Lee Child
This was my first crime novel in ages and I had forgotten how much I love them as I think everyone has a genre that they call their light books the ones you read in between the bigs ones and the ones that you know the formula and love it. Most girls I think go for Romance/Chick Lit but for me it is definitely Crime. I grew up engrossed in Elizabeth George, Patricia Cornwell and John Grisham. This author is pretty popular and I can see why a good mix of good characters, great plot and enough twists to keep the pages turning. As it was my first of his I now have a mega 14 left to read, ironically starting dead in the middle at book 8 - hmm to go backwards or forwards.




The Truth about Diamond - Nicole Richie
I note that the cover and the intro emphasize again and again that this is a novel not an autobiography but you could have had me fooled as she uses real stars names and it rings very similar to her actual life so I am taking it as one. I found it an interesting one to read just after a trip in the USA as it gave me some insight into the behind the scenes happenings in LA and Malibu as when there and driving by the glitz and appeal is often hard to imagine. Not a booker prize novel but good for an hour or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment