Friday 8 January 2010

My little tea obsession

I should start at the beginning. When I was little I always wanted to be elegant and ladylike like my nana and all the 1920-50's movie stars and I associated the art of tea drinking as part of this. So I began with the normal black teas and went from there.

Now in my 30's I can't imagine a day without tea and I have a collection of over 40 teas at home and a mini one of 5 at work. I have teas for every purpose from waking me up to putting me to sleep and for every occasion. So after Chocolate, Tea is the one thing I always keep an eye on the trends and hunt out new ones when I travel.

So I thought I would share a few of my favourites.

For the everyday occasion and for the morning pick me up I love Twinings Lady Grey, now I should point out one of the only teas I can't stand is Earl Grey but this blend which is alot lighter on the bergamot and as such has the most amazing aroma and light flavour makes it so much better - or maybe its just because it is named for a lady not a man.



For in the afternoon when I want a bit of a pick me up and a touch of spice I love T Leaf Teas Kawakawa fire which with the peppery and ginger zing is fabulous. I even think the leaves look kinda Karate chopped so further emphasizing the kick butt nature of it.

Sometimes I want something pretty and a little sweet so for this I always go to my Harney tea range of which their Paris blend is an alltime favourite. Their tins and the silk bags are just so old school elegant and scream tea party with doilies and cupcakes.


If its a hot day or if I have over indulged in food you can't go past T2's peppermint as it is great both chilled and hot and works well on the digestive system. I kinda see this as the beer of teas.



If its before bed or I just want to wind down I have two favourites, one old and one new as I can't even remember when I first came across sleepytime but the aroma and taste is now so synonymous with bedtime I only have to open the packet to instantly feel sleepy and the really fun packaging of this company is also great. My new one is also from the NZ company T leaf T and is called restful this tea even looks girly with its flowers and pretty colours.

Now there are a million other teas I love and I could talk about tea all day as you have regional variations, Black, White, Green, Chai, Herbal or Fruit options, how to brew, Milk or Black, ceremonies and of course High teas but hopefully the few I have listed above will pass on some of my love for the topic and if anyone knows a great tea house or brewer please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment