Wednesday 12 March 2008

Wellington and the festival of the arts













Well I had the best weekend for ages. Flew down early Saturday Morning from Auckland to Wellington to visit my friend Aaron - meet his new love Bridget and see his new house by the beach and airport. They were great hosts giving me tours of the changes since my last visit in 2002 and taking me to yummy breakfasts and gelato places.

I was also down for the festival of the arts which I have to say started with a shock as at my first dance a lady plunged from the seating headfirst onto the stage and cut her head open and was rushed to hospital right in front of my feet (wasn't how I envisaged my first case of someone falling head over heels for me). However the performance went on and was amazing it was one dancer on a massive digital screen where lines and projections were created by her movements my favourite was one where shadows of her movements were recorded and then she stopped and they moved back in reverse - a very creepy effect.

The second dance I saw was Sacred Monsters which was another astounding performance even from the worst seat in the house. Two of the worlds dancing greats together don't know what to say except was incredible.

My last show was a surprise as only picked it as alternative to my dance choices and because there were still tickets and it was cheap so imagine my glee when I find out it is compositions by Philip Glass(and him performing) who is pretty up there he has one grammies oscars and so on and all to poems and drawings by Leonard Cohen another legend. So needless to say another fantastic performance.

I also got to play with two very cute cats zippy and cornelius, witness a mitre 10 dream house filming and visit my fav NZ art gallery the Dowse.

By my flight back early Monday morning I was feeling energised, inspired and relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment