Wednesday 20 June 2007

North Shore City in Blackout



Well I was studiously trying to rejig my CV for a management angle when low and behold the power went out. Luckily geek that I am I had a torch ready in both my rooms for just such occurances and helped mum and dad to get the candles and radio going.

Also got some neat shot of the city lights without those from the shore.

NEW ZEALAND HERALD
Tens of thousands of homes were plunged into darkness last night after an explosion at a substation caused a power cut that crippled Auckland's North Shore.

Lights on the Northern Motorway and harbour bridge were cut, as was power to homes and shops in many suburbs, including parts of Greenhithe and Albany.

Cameras monitoring the motorways and traffic lights were also affected, as were North Shore businesses, including cinemas, which lost power halfway through screenings.

Engineers were last night still investigating what caused the Wairau Rd substation blast, which happened at 7.43pm.

Power to about 30,000 homes was mostly restored by 8.20pm.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is the only one blovked through schoo. Oh why is that?
    Off to Japan on Thursday.... Watch my blog, I'll try to update it!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete