Friday 27 August 2010

Semi Permanent

Inspiration is so important for anyone creative and sometimes when you do it for a job you need your batteries recharged as you get too caught up in the admin and process side of things and forget to take time to smell the roses.

I have been attending Semi Permanent since 2004 making this my 5th one and they just keep getting better every year a credit to the Church who started them here in NZ.

This year I had my little sister with me which was so awesome as for once I could discuss at length each speaker as they went and this only spurred more ideas bubbling away.

You start with a goodie bag packed with coffee, chocolate, stickers, threaded and frankie magazines and of course the annual illustration book, by far the best goodie bags I have come across. The bags are even nice enough to use again.
photo courtesy of Unlimited magazine
We also had the superb MC job again by the extremely talented and funny Radar, he gets away with the most inappropriate things but he does it with such a genuine tone that you take it as harmless. I do think he needs a girlfriend though as he talks about his love of woman alot.

The best speakers for me were the first and last ones.
Jessica had the horrible first slot but she came out like a bolt of energy and was so great to listen to. She had the most amazing portfolio of work especially for a relative newcomer - I am hoping I can buy some of her pieces to frame as she does truely beautiful things with type. Her anecdotes about dogs and ribbon type were also very funny.

The middle speakers I will just rate and sum up in 1 sentence.

Karen Walker & Mikhail Gherman - 2/10 I love their clothes but they were not built for public speaking - Mikhail would have been better on his own as he was interesting

Frost* Design - 6/10 a little hard to follow but the speaker was really wonderful and I can tell she would be great for a night out

Duncan Speakman - 8/10 inspiring what some great ideas can turn into
Pixar - 6/10 Loved seeing their workspaces - if only all companies were as flexible
The Light Surgeons - 7/10 loved the trip down memory lane to old skool analogue

Dick & Otis Frizzell - 9/10 these guys are both brimming over with talent and really made me proud to be a kiwi - plus I did have a crush on Otis as a teenager so was nice to see him a little closer up :)

Poke London - 7/10 amazing work and nice to see designers giving back

Katrin Sonnleitner - 6/10 loved that she kept the T-Shirt that was meant as a prize as why shouldn't the speakers get something too. I know a few people who would lover to play around with her puzzle rugs.

Adrian Shaughnessy - 9/10 very educational and what a privilege to see such a design legend

Buck - 9/10 love to see the mad lengths we can go to sometimes to achieve gems and so great to see another kiwi making it on the international scene

Last slot went to Storm - wanted to know where his name came from as very cool. He was wonderful to listen to as he had a rare combination of extremely dry wit mixed with class - although he did remind me of the saying a gentlemen is a patient wolf. He also asked the audience whether they believed there was life in outer space and the replies were very interesting. It was wonderful to hear all the layers of meaning and stories behind his works and to see him do a project live with the audience a true genius and the Dali/Picasso of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment